Torwoodlee Tower

Built in 1601 to replace a tower destroyed by Elliots, Armstrongs and other ‘lawless clans’ in 1568, this romantic ruin is at last having some TLC. Thanks to the generosity of the Fallago Environment Fund, Historic Scotland, local people and Pringles from around the world, we are half way through a 2 year project to stabilise Torwoodlee Tower to help preserve it as a ruin for future generations of local people and visitors alike.

Torwoodlee Tower
Torwoodlee Tower - Click image to enlarge

The Tower features in the Braw Lads’ Gathering celebrations each year when the Principals, The Braw Lad and the Braw Lass, come as representatives of the People of Galashiels to ask for a sod and a stone in commemoration of the 1503 Act of Sasine when James IV of Scotland married MargaretTudor and was granted the lands of the Ettrick Forest.

On a bank adjacent to the tower sits an ancient yew tree which will have seen many goings on at the Tower and will have been witness to quite a lot of history.